This year I tried to be all sneaky and romantic. I ordered him a necklace (a very masculine necklace, mind you) engraved with a line from "Chasing Cars", the song he played when he proposed. I even had it delivered to his work for full surprise factor. However, I am both pleased and saddened to say that my husband, as usual, has outdone me in the romantics department. Last night he printed up 16 love notes and hid them around the house. I spent the morning searching for them. One was a love poem from one of my favorites Shakespearean plays, "A Midsummer Night's Dream":
Ay me! for aught that I could ever read,
Could ever hear by tale or history,
The course of true love never did run smooth;
But, either it was different in blood,
Or else misgraffed in respect of years,
Or else it stood upon the choice of friends,
Or, if there were a sympathy in choice,
War, death, or sickness did lay siege to it,
Making it momentany as a sound,
Swift as a shadow, short as any dream;
Brief as the lightning in the collied night,
That, in a spleen, unfolds both heaven and earth,
And ere a man hath power to say 'Behold!'
The jaws of darkness do devour it up:
So quick bright things come to confusion.
If then true lovers have been ever cross'd,
It stands as an edict in destiny:
Then let us teach our trial patience,
Because it is a customary cross,
As due to love as wishes and tears,
Thoughts and dreams and sighs.
There was another I liked, made me cry, in fact:
That beautiful day when we were married,
Was one of the best days of my life.
The day you said I do was another.
And the day our son was born.
And this day too.
And this one:
If you weren't here...
1) I'd be lonely
2) I wouldn't have the cutest son ever
3) I'd be missing a part of me
4) Who would I watch Holmes and Poirot with?
5) I'd be hungry (you make good food)
6) I probably wouldn't be able to complete any crossword puzzle
7) I'd be drinking bad coffee
8) I'd still be looking for a good dance partner
9) I'd be missing so many good memories
10) I wouldn't have as much to look forward to
11) My hand wouldn't hurt right now (from writing so many love notes)
12) I'd still be looking for the love of my life
13) I'm running out of room, doesn't that mean something?
- a once-in-a-lifetime person
- the best person I know
Chris, you amaze me everyday. I love you.